This small mission congregation is a church plant by the missionaries, under the supervision of the Church at Recife.
Missionaries Wieske and VanSpronsen are helping plant this church under the supervision of the Church at Recife. The congregation has a local leadership group of one elder and two deacons. Other men are being trained for office.
Fortaleza (Fortress) is the state capital of Ceará, located in Northeastern Brazil. With a population close to 2.55 million (metropolitan region over 3.6 million), Fortaleza is the 5th largest city in Brazil. It has an area of 313 square kilometres (121 sq mi) and the highest demographic density in the country (8,001 per km²).
Maragogi is located on the Coral Coast – Costa dos Corais – 130 kilometers of continuous living tropical reefs on the coast of Northeast Brazil. The municipality is the second most visited city after Maceio the state capital of Alagoas.
Its major attraction is the “Galés”, a group of tropical pools formed at low tide about 6 kilometers from the city’s beach. They are served by 15 large registered catamarans leaving from various points in the municipal area. Individual tours are also available.
Maragogi’s history includes the battles between Dutch and Portuguese colonizers as well as the growth of the sugar cane and coconut plantations that formed the first wealth of the region. Today, it is tourism that provides the most important economic impact in the region. But, its potential remains unexplored. Even so, the busy waterfront in the City of Maragogi has a variety of restaurants, stores and stalls selling local arts and crafts.
Located about 4 hours NW of Recife, previously Baptist church that joined the Igrejas Reformadas do Brasil in the fall of 2010. Pastor Laylton and the Esperança Council oversee the Esperança congregation and three mission points, Remígio, Juarez Távora and Gurinhém, as well as outreach to other nearby cities.
The municipality of Boa Esperança (“Good Hope”) came up with gold rush of the late 19th century. The first settlement was established in 1778, and in 1804 it was called Dores do Pântano (“Pain Swamp”). In 1814 started the construction of the Church, and at that time arose the first coffee plantations, which marked a phase of wealth and progress for the parish. In 1866 the parish was elevated by provincial law to the status of village. On 15 November 1868 the seat of local government was built and the village was elevated by Provincial Law No. 1611 to the status of municipality. In 1957–1958, with the construction of the Furnas Dam and subsequently of the Furnas Lake, the town began to grow throughout tourism.
This small mission congregation in Vera Cruz is a church plant led by the missionaries, under the supervision of the Church in Recife.
This congregation is responsible for overseeing the missionary project at CLIRE which, with the support of the Church at Aldergrove, aims at promoting the work of the Reformed Reading Room and planting a new church in the downtown area of Recife.
Maceio was instituted as a member of the IRB federation in January 2013. Rev. Flávio Silva was installed as the first Brazilian minister of this church in mid 2013.
Cornerstone Canadian Reformed Church currently have one missionary, Rev. Bram deGraaf, who lives in the area with his family. The Board of Mission has supported Reformed ministry in Maceio since 1993.
Rev. de Graaf not only completed the project of planting this church, but is also heavily involved in the federation, serving as a church visitor and teaching regularly at the seminary Instituto João Calvino.
The church at Londrina was a neo-Pentecostal church which came into contact with Reformed doctrine and practice some years ago. They engaged in a multi-year process of studying all three of the Forms of Unity, as well as the Church Order of Dort. Elders were trained and preparations made to establish a church council. The congregation also held a special service where they officially adopted the Three Forms of Unity and confessional membership. The missionaries have had the privilege of serving and contributing to the process of reformation in this church.
There is good contact with a solid, confessionally reformed Presbyterian church in this city. In cooperation with this church, the CLIRE-Os Puritanos has held a number of conferences in this city, the nation’s capital.Because of contacts made through this work, there is now a small preaching point being established by the Church at Unaí.
A confessionally reformed Presbyterian Church in this city organizes an annual Reformed Theological conference which draws church leaders from many cities in the north of Brazil. CLIRE-Os Puritanos has the privilege of participating in this event by contributing the speakers.
A Reformed church started by Dutch immigrants that became part of the IRB when the federation was established in 2000. Pastor Beto and the Unaí Council provide spiritual and administrative leadership. The church is part of a larger Dutch colony that includes farms, a school, a hotel and restaurant, opportunities for eco-tourism, and a “Colony Days Fair” to celebrate the colony’s life in Brazil.
The region has experienced rapid development in recent years after the building of Brasília and the opening up of the cerrado soils to cultivation of soybeans and irrigated rice. There are large herds of cattle—305,000 head (35,000 milking cows)–and extensive plantations of corn, beans, soybeans, sorghum, and rice.
After many years of faithful work by the Dutch sister churches, four vibrant congregations with two ordained ministers and several elders and deacons had been established. Unfortunately, a series of trials and difficulties reduced the work in a short time to a very small remnant a few years ago. The Surrey and Hamilton missionaries in cooperation with the IRB churches worked hard to maintain the preaching and sacraments in this place. In the last few years, the Church at Maragogi has contributed a lot of time and energy to continue the work, even loaning their own ministers to work for long stretches in Colombo.
In August 2013 Rev. Adriano Gama, at that time minister of the Church at Recife, accepted the call to be missionary pastor of the church plant at Colombo. Under God’s blessing, the missionaries look forward to continued cooperation with Maragogi and the new pastor, and expect to see good growth in the south of Brazil with this new development.
Located about a 15-20 minute drive north of Maragogi this growing congregation was the first stop for Mission activities in the early 70’s. It is the most southern village in the state of Pernambuco with a population of approximately 19,000 people.
Only a few decades ago Sao Jose was a tiny fishing village with a dirt main road but has since grown into small town with shopping, beaches and restaurants.
This small congregation is made up of people from various backgrounds who discovered the Reformed faith, formed a congregation, and after some years came into contact with the IRBs. They requested to be taken under the care of the Church at Recife until such time that a Church Council could be organized. For the time being, the missionaries give the local leadership support.
The most populous city in the interior of the state. The lands that today form the city of Caruaru were originally a cattle ranch.
The main economic activities in Caruaru in industry (especially textiles), tourism, commerce, and handicrafts, and in the primary sector, especially the raising of goats, chickens, and cows, and the production of milk. Agricultural activity in the Caruaru area also includes beans, manioc and corn. Caruaru also hosts one of the biggest open traditional and handicrafts markets of Brazil, the Feira de Caruaru.
Prazeras or “Jaboatão dos Guararapes” This small mission congregation is a church plant by the missionaries, under the supervision of the Church at Recife. It is located near Recife to the south of Vera Cruz.
The main economic activities in Jaboatao dos Guararapes are based in tourism, commerce, beverage (Coca Cola) industry and transportation. Population 687,687 according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics in 2009, making it the second most-populous city in the state of Pernambuco and the 26th in Brazil.
- Camaragibe – Est. 1989
- Dos Unidos
- Aguazinha – Est. 2010
- Imbiribeira – Est. 2008
Greater Recife includes congregations, preaching points, and neighborhood Bible studies. All groups are under the supervision of one common Council and the Council is made up of elders and deacons drawn from the various congregations.
The Recife Council also oversees the missionary church plant in Fortaleza, several hours to the north, as well as missionary church plants in Vera Cruz (north-west of Recife), Paulista (north of Recife), Prazeres (just south of Recife) and Caruarú (two hours west of Recife). The congregation of São José da Coroa Grande is currently also under the care of Recife until a new Church Council is ordained.
Recife (Portuguese pronunciation: heh-see-fee) is the fifth-largest metropolitan area in Brazil with 3,743,854 inhabitants, the largest metropolitan area of the North/Northeast Regions, the 5th-largest metropolitan influence area in Brazil, and the capital and largest city of the state of Pernambuco. The population of the city proper was 1,555,039 in 2012.
A previously Pentecostal church that became Reformed and joined the IRB in March 2010.
Sandwiched between sand dunes, lagoons and the sparkling Atlantic, Cabo Frio‘s naturally gorgeous setting has been seriously stunted by industry and overdevelopment.
Still, on weekends and summer holidays its beaches continue to draw throngs of happy-go-lucky Brazilians, whose merrymaking spirit is the city’s strongest attraction.
Cabo Frio, with a population of 120 thousand, is the largest town at Região dos Lagos, the Northern Coast of the State of Rio de Janeiro.